Sawbuck Gamer

Oodlegobs

Viva La Revolución

Someone finally stands against the oppressive force of cat videos—plus more in our free and cheap game roundup.

By Danny Gallagher, Samantha Nelson, Derrick Sanskrit, John Teti, and Drew Toal • November 7, 2013

Sawbuck Gamer is our occasional roundup of free and cheap games ($10 or less).

PBS Idea Channel recently produced a video arguing that the internet is cats. Despite the weirdness of the claim, its basis is undeniable. It’s almost impossible to log on to your web services of choice without being overwhelmed by whiskered balls of fluff demanding your adoration. The folks at developer Nitrome have decided that enough (cats) is enough (cats) and made a game all about scrubbing cats from the internet using a virus that multiples every time it devours a cat video. The virus is called Oodlegobs, and it is both as cute and as vicious as it sounds.

The player moves their ever-expanding army of oodlegobs across the obstacle-ridden cyberspace in an effort to infect every last digital kitten. The bulk of the challenge comes from organizing the gobs into living towers to reach high platforms and buttons or jumping gaps in compacted groups to keep strays from falling to their doom. Even in death, though, the oodlegobs can serve a greater purpose. Any gobs unfortunate enough to impale themselves on the rows of spikes that litter the information superhighway act as cushions, allowing the rest of the gobs to venture forward across their backs. The only way to make it through is careful planning, communication, and teamwork, which is where the oodlegobs have the clear advantage—after all, cats are notoriously self-serving and have no regard for others. When’s the last time you saw a video of two or more cats working together toward a common goal, say, opening a can of tuna? Or singing in unison? Ooh, or maybe dressed as the continental congress dancing to “Sit Down, John” from 1776. I would totally watch that! I wonder if that’s on YouTube yet…[DS]

Type: Rider

There are a lot of type nerds out there—Gutenberg fanboys and fangirls with their own Platen press at home and who think the 2007 typography documentary Helvetica has good replay value. For these folks, Type:Rider, a gorgeous game that takes the player through the history of lettering, the appeal is obvious. (No one else, it stands to reason, will be geeked to see a likeness of early 16th century French engraver Geoffroy Tory included in the game.)

But how does it play out for those of us whose interest in font aesthetics doesn’t go much beyond a general distaste for Comic Sans? Using touchscreen controls, you direct a mobile colon (the punctuation mark, not the internal organ) as it rolls through the history of type. Most of the obstacles are giant letters arranged in what appears to be some kind of Byzantine illuminocalypse. Your colon traverses them using momentum and well-timed jumps. Meanwhile, the player is treated to a chronological history of the printed word and also to the pleasures of a strange, lonely world. Type:Rider isn’t challenging, in the sense that it’s hard to advance the game, but its sense of exploration and wonder is palpable, even without caring about the fundamental differences between Cambria and Calibri. [DT]

Candy Box 2

The original Candy Box was a curio whose quaint text “graphics” and spare, naive writing made it an internet phenomenon for a hot minute. The game drew players in with little surprises that emerged as its world expanded, but its most important surprise was the fact that such an oddity existed at all. Candy Box 2 has none of that freshness going for it—a reality that surely wasn’t lost on its creator, aniwey—so it raises the question of whether such ephemeral whimsy can survive in a sequel. And while Candy Box 2 isn’t quite the revelation that its predecessor was, aniwey’s sweetness still has some shelf life left.

In both games, your “quest” is an undirected, ongoing exploration of the game’s secrets, and your sources of power are ever-escalating supplies of candies and lollipops (which tick up as long as you leave the browser tab open). Candy Box 2 places less of an emphasis on watching numbers go up. While you still have a lollipop farm and you still must find ways to hoard more and more candies, these quantitative pursuits are somewhat beside the point. This sequel is more about poking around the ASCII-art landscape to see what you can find.

With the sequel, aniwey strikes a nice exploratory rhythm. Once one mini-quest (say, an undersea battle against jellyfish) wears thin, a new frontier is liable to open up. The Candy Box 2 map seems almost lavish, with a homey little village, a dragon’s castle, and other fantastical lands. But with this new vastness the minimalist visual palette takes on a new resonance, with the text-only look implicitly mocking aniwey’s efforts to craft an elaborate world. There’s something relaxing about a game that refuses to dazzle players, giving us permission to simply be amused rather than demanding that we be wowed. That unassuming friendliness is what endures even as the novelty of Candy Box has worn off. [JT]

Mond Cards

The Canadian comedy group The Frantics wrote a genius game show parody for its roster of radio sketches in which the show’s goal was to guess the rules of the game. The contestants squirm and struggle to understand the game’s meta-rules, but they are just as ecstatic to be playing as a middle-aged Midwestern couple performing some inane task on an episode of Truth Or Consequences.

The same principles are applied in Ryan Melmoth’s Mond Cards, except you’re the one doing the squirming and struggling to understand the rules of what appears to be a simple card game. Mond Cards throws you into some sort of alien limbo where an eyeless overlord challenges you to a card game in exchange for your freedom. He gives you some vague hints as to how each round is played, but they don’t make the game easier to understand. Your opportunities to actually play and experiment with the rules are few and far between. (Mr. No Eyes and his friends are real Chatty Cathys.) Just when the game’s rules felt within reach, they would slip away, and I realized I was just as clueless as when I had started. But there is fun to be had from getting lost in Mond Cards’ confusing meta-maze and laughing while fumbling through each hand. [DG]

Freak Tower

The story of King Kong is a tragic one. He was happy to just roam around with dinosaurs on his island, but humans had to go and capture him and put him on display. When he tries to escape with the woman he loves, by climbing the tallest tower he can find, he’s killed for his trouble.

Likewise the monsters you’re fighting in Freak Tower don’t seem to have particularly malevolent motivations. Whether it’s a mushroom-covered giant turtle, a flaming lobster, or Cthulhu, they’re just slowly drifting to the top of your apartment building, leaving it and its denizens unmolested. Unfortunately for those creatures, the tower’s residents are eager to kill monsters and sell their parts to interested vendors. You gradually grow your tower by adding either apartments to attract more tenants or put them to work in a variety of businesses. Working residents make you money that you can use to build more floors, and they’ll also defend the floors by chucking stuff at any approaching monster.

Like all “freemium” games, you can use real money to do just about everything in Freak Tower. But there’s plenty to do without spending a dime, like collecting rewards that improve specific businesses and raising pets to live with your extremely weird denizens—the likes of which include syringe-wielding guys with crazy hair and beaker-toting women surrounded by ghosts. There’s even a slot machine that can summon special freaks like a “reviewer” who helps a business do better. You’re probably the bad guy in these monster fights, but that doesn’t make them any less satisfying. [SN]

60 Responses to “Viva La Revolución”

1. Sarapen says:

How odd, Freak Tower has been unavailable in Canada since June. I wonder why Canada specifically? I assume it’s some weird regulatory loophole, like how Canada-wide contests always specify that they don’t apply for residents of Quebec.

• ruthperez325 says:

ᴍʏ ᴄʟᴀssᴍᴀᴛᴇ’s
      ʜᴀʟғ-sɪsᴛᴇʀ ᴍᴀᴋᴇs $67 ʜᴏᴜʀʟʏ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ɪɴᴛᴇʀɴᴇᴛ. Sʜᴇ ʜᴀs ʙᴇᴇɴ ᴏᴜᴛ ᴏғ ᴡᴏʀᴋ ғᴏʀ 7
      ᴍᴏɴᴛʜs ʙᴜᴛ ʟᴀsᴛ ᴍᴏɴᴛʜ ʜᴇʀ ᴘᴀʏᴍᴇɴᴛ ᴡᴀs $21761 ᴊᴜsᴛ ᴡᴏʀᴋɪɴɢ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ɪɴᴛᴇʀɴᴇᴛ ғᴏʀ
      ᴀ ғᴇᴡ ʜᴏᴜʀs. Wᴇʙ Sɪᴛᴇ……www.W­o­r­k­s­77.c­o­m

• Enkidum says:

Your classmate’s half-sister is a filthy whore!

And she had to work over 324 hours last month, which is kind of insane.

2. feisto says:

I’m not sure what’s going on in that screen cap from Candy Box 2, but I think it’s a Fox Dragon doing a handstand on top of a castle.

3. nattyish says:

There’s no way to win a round in Mond Cards…. right???

4. Enkidum says:

OK I’m sorry as always this is highly OT but what do people use to store DS cartridges? Doesn’t have to be make or serial number or anything, just what sort of physical object do you put them in that is an improvement on leaving them on my table?

Seriously, get your damn ds cartridges off my table.

And, uh… Candy Box 1 was fun.

• Destroy Him My Robots says:

I think you’re just looking for a game case. Every place that sells DS accessories has them. Keep in mind that 3DS cartridges won’t fit in a DS game case, but DS games will fit in a 3DS game case.

Oh, also you could see if you can just get one from Club Nintendo. They sometimes offer them as rewards.

• Enkidum says:

So y’all don’t put them in a bowl like breath mints or anything, but in a fancy “case”, huh?

Uh… never mind that was more than a little obvious and my alzheimer’s is obviously kicking in. I blame chemtrails for making my brain like this.

• boardgameguy says:

why would you blame the underrated Beck song from his Modern Guilt album for your forgetfulness?

• PaganPoet says:

I keep mine in an old pog case.

5. CrabNaga says:

I’m pretty sure I saw Type:Rider on Steam as well; may want to correct that.

• Yup, for Mac, Windows and Linux, though at three times the price as mobile.

I happen to be a member of that Gutenberg fan club Drew references, a lifelong typophile, and I agree that Gary Hustwit’s Helvetica does have good replay value, though not necessarily for the type discussion. I have put it on several times just for the El Ten Eleven soundtrack and soothing voices of designers in their offices as calming background noise. Almost every time I do this, though, friends or family will wander in and get caught up in the “story,” as it were. It tickles me that so many type-agnostics will find Erik Spiekermann or Paula Scher to be compelling speakers, since I consider them to be relaxed rock stars.

• Matt Gerardi says:

Yeah, well, they should probably correct their game’s website. Harumph.

6. Spacemonkey Mafia says:

A game where you destroy cat videos is more interesting to me for being such a particular product of this era than the game itself. It’d be like designing a game in the 70’s that’s specifically about knocking over Billy beer cans with your pet rock.
    Man, I loved that game. At least, I did if my mood ring was accurate.

• George_Liquor says:

Oh yeah, I remember that game. You had to avoid the Mr. Yuck stickers, but you got big points for the Whip Inflation Now ones.

7. Merve says:

Type:Rider reminded me of two other typography-related games: Kern Type and Shape Type. Warning: both are extremely challenging!

Also, Mond Cards sounds a heck of a lot like the card game Mao.

8. duwease says:

Mond Cards reminds me of the card game in the Fool’s Errand (and sequel). I had quite a fun time with pen and paper trying to puzzle out why the hell the hand I just kept was classified differently from the last time I kept it..

9. rameshjeansa says:

Diane implied I’m surprised that any body able to earn $9665 in 1 month on the computer. important…………..

w­w­w.J­o­b­s­47.c­o­m

10. RedaMurrell says:

I have really Like it Cat Video .

11. himaniarora says:

I have really Like it Game for play.

12. preetibhardwaj says:

I have really Like it Game for Play .

13. himanshiarora says:

I am really Like it Game for Play .

14. himanshiarora says:

I am so feel Interesting for Playing the Game .

15. JacqulynGertner says:

I am really like Game to Play.

16. NovellaParras says:

The Video is so very interesting and Mind Blowing to see.

17. JeanettMettler says:

The Cat videos is so very superb and Mind Blowing.

18. TriciaFinlayson says:

The Game is so very interesting for play .I have cross all the stages.

19. ClementinaFennelly says:

The game is so very interesting for play .I have cross all the stage when I have played it game.

20. theresaSuttons says:

my best friend’s half-sister makes $64 every hour on the internet . She has been without a job for 7 months but last month her pay check was $19649 just working on the internet for a few hours. hop over to here.for a work detail go tech tab.

✒✒✒✒✒✒ JOBS7000.COM

==================================

21. maggiejcarter says:

Start working at home with Google! It’s by-far the best job I’ve had. Last Wednesday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this – 4 weeks past. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour. I work through this link, go to tech tab for work detail

✒✒✒✒✒✒ Jobs7000.Com

=================================

22. brendawbov says:

s­­­­­­­­­t­­­­­­­­­a­­­­­­­­­r­­­­­­­­­t­­­­­­­­­ wor­­­­­­­­­king a­­­­­­­­­t­­­­­­­­­ home wit­­­­­­­­­h Google! It­­­­­­­­­’s­­­­­­­­­ by-fa­­­­­­­­­r­­­­­­­­­ t­­­­­­­­­he bes­­­­­­­­­t­­­­­­­­­ job I’ve ha­­­­­­­­­d. La­­­­­­­­­s­­­­­­­­­t­­­­­­­­­ Wednes­­­­­­­­­da­­­­­­­­­y I got­­­­­­­­­ a­­­­­­­­­ br­­­­­­­­­a­­­­­­­­­nd new BMW s­­­­­­­­­ince get­­­­­­­­­t­­­­­­­­­ing a­­­­­­­­­ check for­­­­­­­­­ $6474 t­­­­­­­­­his­­­­­­­­­ – 4 weeks­­­­­­­­­ pa­­­­­­­­­s­­­­­­­­­t­­­­­­­­­. I bega­­­­­­­­­n t­­­­­­­­­his­­­­­­­­­ 8-mont­­­­­­­­­hs­­­­­­­­­ a­­­­­­­­­go a­­­­­­­­­nd immedia­­­­­­­­­t­­­­­­­­­ely wa­­­­­­­­­s­­­­­­­­­ br­­­­­­­­­inging home a­­­­­­­­­t­­­­­­­­­ lea­­­­­­­­­s­­­­­­­­­t­­­­­­­­­ $77 per­­­­­­­­­ hour­­­­­­­­­. I wor­­­­­­­­­k t­­­­­­­­­hr­­­­­­­­­ough t­­­­­­­­­his­­­­­­­­­ link, go? t­­­­­­­­­o t­­­­­­­­­ech t­­­­­­­­­a­­­­­­­­­b for­­­­­­­­­ wor­­­­­­­­­k det­­­­­­­­­a­­­­­­­­­il

>>>>>>>>>> http://xurl.es/ngvfh

=======================================

23. ieDiej8aegh says:

< col Hiiiiiii Friends….uptil I saw the paycheck saying $8736 , I have faith that my neighbour woz actualy receiving money parttime from their computer. . there friends cousin has done this 4 only about thirteen months and by now repaid the loans on there mini mansion and got a great GMC . visit their website SEE FULL DETAIL

~~~~~~b